Like everything we do at Functional Self, our recipes have been designed to help you achieve your optimal state. The foods we eat impact our energy levels, mood and cognitive ability, as well as supporting a healthy gut microbiome. We wanted to create a recipe series that focuses on nutrient-dense real foods that will help you reach your highest level of health and vitality. Functional Self recipes are packed full of nourishing ingredients and will help to provide a clear path ahead for clean eating, regardless of your starting off point.
Rainbow 'couscous' salad
Fresh and flavoursome, this delicious and colourful salad is packed with vegetables and herbs, with the base made from cauliflower and carrot. Perfect for spring and summer! Lovely eaten on its own but even better served with some avocado and protein such as steak, roast chicken, or meatballs.
Time: 15 minutes (+15 min cooling time)
Makes: 4 servings
• 200g cauliflower florets
• 200g coarsely grated carrot
• Zest and juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
• 80g pomegranate seeds
• 40g pistachio (or cashew) nuts, chopped
• Small handful each of chopped mint leaves, parsley and coriander
• 30g chopped spring onions
• 100g radishes, sliced
• 2 tablespoons coconut oil
• 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• Large pinch sea / Himalayan pink salt
• 200g olives, such as kalamata
• 1/2 medium cucumber, chopped
• 1 red chilli, sliced (optional)
1. Pulse the cauliflower florets in a food processor for a few seconds.
2. Melt the coconut oil in a pan, add the cauliflower and 50ml water, stir thoroughly, cover. Then gently cook on a low heat for around 4 minutes, stirring part way through.
3. Remove from the heat, transfer to a bowl and leave to cool down (this will take about 15 minutes).
4. While the cauliflower is cooling prepare and combine all the other ingredients in a separate bowl. Add to the cooled cauliflower and mix well.