Like everything we do at Functional Self, our recipes have been designed to help you achieve your optimal state. The foods we eat impact our energy levels, mood and cognitive ability, as well as supporting a healthy gut microbiome. We wanted to create a recipe series that focuses on nutrient-dense real foods that will help you reach your highest level of health and vitality. Functional Self recipes are packed full of nourishing ingredients and will help to provide a clear path ahead for clean eating, regardless of your starting off point.
Spiced lamb cups
• Level: Easy
• Time: 30 minutes
• Makes: 4 servings
Herbs and spices can turn plain mince meat into something special. This “one pan” dish is simple, easy to make and super tasty. The lamb is served in lettuce cups (we have used gem lettuce leaves). Try serving with some avocado slices as well.
• 500g lamb mince
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, chopped
• 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
• 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 tablespoon each of freshly chopped thyme and oregano (or 1/2 tablespoon each of dried)
• 1 teaspoon sea / Himalayan salt
• A small handful each of fresh coriander and parsley (chopped)
• 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) pine nuts
• 4 gem lettuce hearts (or similar lettuce)
• 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or ghee)
1. Heat the oil in a large pan and gently sauté the onion on low heat for 10 minutes. At the same time, toast the pine nuts in a separate pan for a couple of minutes until golden and set aside.
2. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes.
3. Add the thyme, oregano, spices, salt and pepper. Mix in well and cook for a further 1 minute.
4. Add the lamb and sauté for a further 10 minutes. At the same time wash and dry the lettuce leaves (a salad spinner is great for this, or use a kitchen towel to pat dry).
5. Turn off the heat, throw in the parsley, coriander and pine nuts and mix together. Check for seasoning and adjust if needed.
6. Transfer the lamb to a bowl and serve with the lettuce cups and any other accompaniments of choice.