Eating a nutrient-dense, whole foods diet is one of the best steps you can take for optimum health and wellbeing. However modern life has introduced many obstacles to staying healthy through diet alone. These include mineral depletion in the soil, pesticides and sprays on our food, air pollution, environmental toxins and easy access to unhealthy hyperpalatable foods.
The way you digest and assimilate nutrients is also an important factor, which we wrote about in our recent blog about digestion. In an ideal world, with all of your nutrients coming from a healthy diet and lifestyle, supplementation wouldn’t be necessary. However there are three reasons why supplementation may be essential to achieving peak performance.
- Substituting for what is missing - Owing to shortcomings with our current food system, many of us suffer from unintentional nutritional deficits despite our best efforts.
- Supporting function - Generally, supplements aren’t intended to treat any specific disease. However supplements can help facilitate targeted therapy and also support the restoration of normal cell and organ function.
- Stimulating - Supplements can help get organs, glands, and systems back to function by stimulating or inhibiting metabolic processes.
Functional Self focuses on sourcing natural, high quality supplementation because the most bioavailable form will provide you with nutrients that your body will more readily utilise. Synthetic vitamins or minerals are often more difficult for your body to assimilate and often use fillers and binders, which is why we choose our suppliers very carefully. Our favourite supplements for achieving peak performance are below:
- EVCLO - one of nature’s best sources of key nutrients Vitamin A, Vitamin D and long chain Omega-3 fatty acids, which are important contributors to heart health, mental health and a strong immune system.
- Magnesium - an important mineral for the human body and fundamental in maintaining optimum health and energy. Magnesium is one supplement that we believe most people would benefit from. We wrote more about this here.
- Sulforaphane - a potent antioxidant shown to reduce cancer risk, fight cardiovascular disease and provide powerful neuroprotective benefits. We wrote more about sulforaphane here.
- Hydrogen - H2 tablets can be dissolved in water and provide powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits. We wrote more about H2 here.
- BenaGene - nutritional anti-aging supplement which contains a patented form of oxaloacetic acid - a key part of the body’s natural energy cycle.
- Gutpro - this advanced probiotic contains the most beneficial and human compatible strains for our gut microbiome, each of which is backed by clinical research. We wrote more about Gutpro here.
We can help you identify your specific supplementation requirements at a cellular energy level via our lab testing service. If you are interested in finding out exactly what your body needs (and which supplements you don’t need), our Functional Diagnostic Testing service might be something to consider.
Supplements should not be used as a substitute for a healthy diet and lifestyle. Always read labels, warnings and instructions provided with products before consuming or using any product. If you are 18 years or younger, pregnant, breastfeeding, on medication, have a medical condition, or are allergic to any listed ingredients, please consult your doctor or healthcare professional before using a product. If adverse reactions occur, discontinue use immediately and consult a doctor. Where applicable, do not use if safety seal is broken or missing. Keep out of reach of children.
Unless clearly stated otherwise, Functional Self is not the manufacturer of products sold on our website. Although we endeavour to make sure information about the products we sell is correct, manufacturers may change product information, and information on packaging and labels may differ from information on our website. We strongly recommend that you do not rely solely on information from our website, but always read labels, warnings and instructions provided with the product before consuming or using any product. If you have any concerns, please contact the manufacturer. Products sold through this website and information contained on this website are not intended to be used to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease or health condition. Functional Self accepts no liability for inaccurate information on the part of manufacturers.